Aside from being very therapeutic, massage therapy has lots of other benefits, and has helped many individuals manage their pain and conditions, helping them live a better life. Here are a few massage-based quick facts that you may not know:
- It is possible that massage may be one of the oldest forms of medical care. Paintings and murals have been found in 6000-year-old Egyptian tombs that show people being massaged.
- A 60-minute massage is about the same as getting 7 hours of sleep for your body.
- Physical touch to the body stimulates the release of endorphins, the body’s natural pain killers.
- Specialized massage techniques improve the flow of lymph through the body, relieving aches, pains, and flu-like symptoms.
- The skin contains approximately 5 million touch receptors, 3000 of these are in just one fingertip.
- Healthy touch of any kind reduces the heart rate and can lower blood pressure.
- Office workers who take regular massages tend to be more alert, perform better, and are less stressed than those who don’t.
- Massage helps moisturize and soften your skin and helps it detox. Important as the skin is the largest organ in your body.
As these quick facts show, there are many benefits to getting a massage. Taking care of you skin and body by having massage therapy should be part of everyone’s health routine. Call Todd Stevens at Salmon Arm Massage for more info or to book an appointment.